Youth Initiative High School
Boarding Student Application for Admission
Boarding Placement Information
There is a group of families in the surrounding community interested in being hosts for out-of-town and international students at Youth Initiative High School. YIHS has conducted background checks on all the families and has solicited information about the condition of their family and home. YIHS selects families for each boarding student.
The standard cost for housing, which includes room and board, is $500/month. This fee is paid directly to the hosting family, not to YIHS.
Boarding students can voice concerns about their living situation to the YIHS Administrator and, if conditions are not suitable, a petition to change host family can be made.
Host families are expected to:
- Provide appropriate housing and a safe, welcoming living environment for Boarding students, as well as for arranging all meals while the student is in their care and responding to sudden illnesses or other emergencies.
- Ensure that there is appropriate adult supervision for Boarding students, as well as appropriate discipline and mentorship where needed.
- Provide occasional assistance with school assignments.
- Maintain open communication with the Boarding student’s family and with YIHS about the student’s health and well-being. This includes:
- A monthly visit with a YIHS faculty member to discuss Boarding student
- At least monthly communication with Boarding student’s family to check in on student and communicate any concerns or issues
- Actively involve Boarding students in the social and cultural life of the family, when appropriate.